Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Guidelines for the Editing Exam

You will be taking the Editing Exam in class a week from today.  On that exam, you can expect the following types of questions.
  • There will be questions that ask you to define terms in bold in WTP and terms in italics from the scanned reading.  For example, what is the difference between a clause and a phrase?  Also, what is a nominalization?  This section will be worth twenty points.
  • There will be questions that ask you to apply the knowledge in these chapters to actual sentences.  For example, I could ask you to classify sentences according to the four sentence types.  Also, I could ask you to rewrite passages so that they are more parallel.  Finally, I could give you a passage or a few sentences and ask you to cut the fat.  This section will be worth forty points.
  • There will be passages that you must edit fully.  For example, I could give you a passage and ask you to edit it using all of the ideas in both readings.  Also, I could ask you to take a passage and edit it to create a final, usable document (much like the exercise we did in class where you created a library handout based on the large clump of text I gave you).  This section will be worth forty points.
If you miss the exam, I will give you a makeup, but it will consist of a different format and different questions than the exam I give during class.  You will most likely be asked to do more with less, meaning there will be fewer questions that you have to edit in multiple ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment