Sunday, December 12, 2010

What My Students Learned This Semester

Taking inspiration from Jo(e), I passed out index cards and asked my students to write down one thing they learned in class this semester.  These are the anonymous responses I received in the order in which I received them.

I learned how much of a difference ten years of research and planning can make and how wrongly the media can inform that public during times of panic.

I learned how to refine my writing, pretty much learned how to write like an adult.  I learned that writing like a professional could equal some serious cash once I get myself a career.

I learned how a factual book such as Columbine can be sound and effective.  I also learned how not to handle a school shooting.

This is one of the few classes where the real world is actually applied to the lessons.  I can see myself using a lot of this material in the workforce.

I learned that I can actually read a whole book during the semester for a class.  Was a great one, too!

I learned many important skills to be successful in the business world, like how to properly format and write an email, memo, report, and give a Pecha Kucha presentation.

I learned that media can jump to conclusions and do whatever they can to get a story.

I learned that Columbine was more than just a shooting by two outcasts and that my school could learn from it even.

The Columbine killers were not a cult of gothic outcasts!!

Report writing is wicked hahd, but the final product is worth all of the effort.

I learned a lot about the details/truth behind the Columbine shooters and the people involved.

I learned how to write a memo.  It sounds simple, but there are many steps that go into making a good one.

I learned just about everything that I know about the Columbine shootings, since I barely knew anything about them before reading the book for this course.

Well, first it confirmed my idea that you are awesome.  I also learned how to create a good report through instruction and the book.  I also learned more about Columbine, which I enjoyed.  Happy Holidays!

I finally learned how to properly use a semicolon.

I learned that just because it's researched thoroughly, it can still be lovely to read, if written right.  And SWAT used to suck.

Pecha Kucha presentations!  Although, I was not a presenter, learning how to make one was very helpful.  Presentations are very difficult for me, but this could quite possibly change my view of them.

I learned about memos.  A thank you memo was sent after one of my job interviews, and the boss was impressed.  Thank you.  And the truth about Columbine.

No comments:

Post a Comment